The functions and importance of gates need not require a special mention, but it is imperative to state that the basic function of gates is to provide security to the premises and its occupants. Gates provide the first and most basic level of security. Gates are like the first level of defense along with the security.
Gates, if classified on the basis of the directions in which they move, can be moving gates (gates which move along the perimeter along the direction of the hinges) or Gates that slide.
Gates that slide are those which move in a linear motion along a single rail in either direction.
These days sliding gates are in vogue because of the economies in cost, effectiveness, safety provided and the space utilized compared to the moving gates. More and more complexes, be it industrial, military installations or even residential, are installing such gates because of the benefits offered.
These are similar to a sliding door in our apartments. A sliding door is a kind of door which opens by sliding is suspended from a track fixed to the wall. While a gate which slides moves on a track that is fixed on the ground.
The features of gates which slide are as below:
• Mechanism Gate which slide can be manual or motorized. Manual gates need to be opened and closed manually by the operator. Motorized gates that slide can be opened and closed by the press of a switch by the operator.
• Cost: These are economical as compared to moving gates because of the useful life
• Structure: A long and sturdy steel gate installed on a rail with smooth and quality wheels (known as rollers) at the bottom. The rail is supported on one end by a vertical beam. Shock absorbers are at either end to absorb shocks in case of quick movement. Could be made of wrought iron also
• Materials used for the manufacture: High-grade steel, Sturdy rollers, high-powered motors and electric control panels (in case of an automatic one) and strong rails
• Types: These are of various types like manual gates, quality automatic gates, Cantilever gates and telescopic gates. Even in motorized gates there are gates which require no operators
Such gates offer various advantages. First of all, the cost is low as compared to the moving gates. The initial installation cost may be more. However, the sturdiness which they provide ensures a long life which in turn reduces the frequency at which a gate may need to be replaced. Secondly, sturdiness is what these offer because of the high-grade steel that is used in their manufacture. Thirdly and one of the most important is the safety which these provide. Easy and the mechanism is also a benefit. Such gates also add to the visual appeal.
Disadvantages also crop up like maintenance of motorized gates is more because of the parts involved like motors and the electric panels. Smooth surface is required for the rails. Ideally should not be installed on a slope since the movement could be hampered. Overall benefits outweigh the cons as compared to the moving or hinged gates.